I am visiting from out of town, can I join you for a practice?
There are daily passes now available to the athletic facilities (https://www.mitrecsports.com/join/day-and-temporary-passes,)
if you would like to join us for a workout or two while you are in town, please contact email@example.com for additional information.
How many sessions do you have per year?
We run three sessions a year that are set by the MIT academic calendar:
- Winter session – January to end of May- long course in January and May, short course the rest
- Summer session – June to Labor day (beginning of September) – all long course
- Fall Session – September to mid December – all short course
Is the pool short course or long course?
Mostly Short Course, but configured to Long Course between late December and early January and from early May through mid-August.
I used to swim alot but haven’t been in a pool in ages. Can I join?
While we at MIT Masters don’t compete as a group, we do have swimmers in our group who compete on their own. However, many of our group swim for fun and fitness.
The minimum requirements exist for our group (they may be waived with good cause, contact Patti for more information):
- Have working knowledge of all four strokes (freestyle, backstroke, butterfly and breaststroke)
- Be able to swim 500 yards without stopping
- Know what interval you would do 100 yard sets.
You should feel comfortable with timing yourself on a pace clock (we can teach you this if this is all you’re missing).
Do you have a waiting list?
We currently do not have a waiting list for swimmers not associated with MIT. We do have priority to MIT associated people. For additional information pleases send email to
Where else in the Boston area can I swim?
Search for Boston on the US Masters Swimming search page.
Send suggestions of “FAQs” to patti.